September 4, 2012

School Time!

Andrew started Kindergarten and Ashley started her last year of Preschool!!! I loved this summer and dreaded the start of school but, they love it so I guess it's best. Ashley was most excited, she couldn't wait to get back to preschool. She loves everything about it and her confidence is such an asset there. Andrew loved last year in preschool and he was excited about Kindergarten too but, he was also a little nervous. And since he's my oldest I've felt pretty nervous for him. Here are my two grown up kiddos ready to head off to school on the first day! 
Andrew is in afternoon kindergarten and Ashley has afternoon preschool. I much prefer mornings and hope I don't regret choosing afternoon but, I thought with a new baby coming so soon I might like it. I hope I was right.. Kindergarten is less than a five minute drive but, because of a gully it really isn't walk-able for anyone who lives on our side of the gully, so we are in the bus zone. For afternoon kindergarten we have to carpool to school and they take the bus home. Andrew thinks the bus is the coolest! 
~
Andrew has a new friend named Luke in his class who lives just around the corner from us. We never knew about Luke until this summer, simply because of our ward boundaries. They are about a week apart in age, in the same class and have become good buddies, plus it's fun to have a carpool and bus buddy too. 
 Below: In class for the first time, he's happy but, a little anxious I think. Hailey was ready to be part of everything too. Andrew has always so been easy to take to school or anywhere else. He doesn't cry and if he's nervous, he tries not to let on. He is obedient to teachers (as far as I know) and seems to make friends pretty quickly. I didn't cry either, I think my mind was too busy thinking about getting him there on time, bringing everything I needed to bring, having Dave get Ashley to preschool with everything she needed, and keeping an eye on Miss 'into-everything' Hailey. When I gave him a hug to say goodbye I nearly choked up a bit but, I held it in and was on my way. I love being Andrew's mom and even though I know I will always be his mom, I also know that he won't always be my little boy, and that's hard. Andrew is very smart and more than ready for kindergarten. I'm excited to volunteer in class once he is comfortable with the new routine, because I'm so curious about how he acts when I'm not around. 
~
Andrew seems to really like his new teacher, Miss Danner, and I'm very happy with her too. He has been happy, ready, and wanting to go each day. Andrew got to bring Birthday treats to class on Friday and it was fun to see his cute class of 19 kids on a normal day, and not just the first 10 chaotic minutes the first day. 
 Ashley's preschool is 3 days a week and starts 15 minutes before Andrew's school. It's a 5 minute drive between schools. That's easy but, on the first day I wanted them to both have the attention they needed so Dave took his mini-me and biggest fan Ashley, while Hailey and I took Andrew. Ashley was so excited that Daddy was going to drive her! She went to the same preschool last year, just a different class, so even though she's with all new kids she walked in and owned the place. Her 2 teachers are very sweet and nurturing and have told me how smart and sweet she is - and she really is, even though she is very young for her grade. And Ashley just loves going. Each day she was so excited to go and then really disappointed on the day she didn't have class even though Andrew did. 
 Andrew rides the bus home. I have been really nervous about the bus but, he sits by his 2 carpool buddies, says he loves it and it's pretty convenient, though it does add a full 30 minutes to his school day.  Here is our conversation one day as I drove Ashley to preschool and the Kindergarten carpool too. 
Andrew (using his coolest voice for his friends):  "Preschool is so boring". 
Me: "Whatever Andrew, you loved preschool"
Andrew: "Yeah, but it's way cooler to get picked up by a bus than a car"
Ashley: "When do I get to ride the bus?"
Here's to a great year! Way to go Andrew and Ashley!

1 comment:

Jill said...

It is so fun to see what Andrew is up too. We held Ryan back so he too is in afternoon kindergarton and rides the bus. He loves it! I cannot believe they are both six now. Just yesterday we were both prego with our boys!