March 23, 2010

San Diego

Our fabulous trip to San Diego was beautiful, fun and exhausting too. We were in San Diego for five full days and then in Newport Beach and Anaheim for two more days. We spent five days in theme parks, one day at the beach, and every night exploring fun parts of the city and beaches.

When we first arrived we went straight to Mission Beach. Andrew was still wearing his Utah warm clothes because I figured he would take a while to warm up to the ocean again and wouldn't be getting in...boy was I wrong! We was in the waves and drenched in minutes!
Gotta love how his heavy fleece lined pants held up in the water!
Our first theme park was Legoland. The kids loved it and what's not to love, it's super cute, wasn't crowded and Andrew was just tall enough to go on almost every ride.
The San Diego Zoo is pretty incredible and really intimidating. It's gigantic and really hilly. Andrew really loved the turtles, hippos, and reptile house. Ashley wasn't feeling so great that day. It was fun to see Panda Bears too. The zoo is fun but, it's a lot of work. We thought we'd walked most everything and then went on the 35 bus tour and realized we'd seen less than half. You'd have to spend a few days to get it all in with kids.
We spent our nights exploring some fun areas. We liked seeing the air craft carriers, Old Town, Little Italy, Coronado, the Temple, beaches, and the hotel swimming pool.
The Church has a new property in Old Town, which is a really fun, touristy spot. Sister missionaries dressed as pioneers give a fun tour. We all really enjoyed it and the kids got to dress like soldiers.
We spent two days at Sea World which was just right. The first day we felt rushed wanting to get to all the shows and the second day we just loved seeing everything at our own pace. Dave loves the Shark exhibit most, Andrew loves petting the manta rays and finding anything in an aquarium while Dave and I pretend not to be able to see it, Ashley is just happy to be there and I love just about everything there. Sea World wasn't at all crowded except that there are so very few food options that the lines for any food are crazy long. If you go, sneak in some food.
There are a few rides at Sea World, and Andrew LOVES rides. This ride is a lot like the teacups, with lots of spinning. Everyone started all smiles.
I was doubled over with laughter as I watched my family one by one get too dizzy and sick to make it. The picture doesn't show it well but, here's Andrew bent over trying to make it to the end of the ride. Oh, that was funny. Looks like Andrew just might have Dave's weak stomach after all.
We love Newport Beach! San Diego is beautiful and it's beaches are great but, Newport Beach is still tops for us.
This boy just can't get enough water and sand!
Ashley doesn't quite love the cold water like her brother...
We spent our last day in Disneyland! It was crowded but, really fun! Andrew is at the perfect age; just tall enough to go on almost everything, so in love with the characters, and just excited! Ashley is a bit young but, loved the smaller rides.
Other than the inevitable tantrums and sicknesses, it was a great trip! We came home feeling like we'd been gone forever and grateful to have had such fun adventures with our little family.

8 comments:

Amy Owen said...

Oh my goodness Leslie! Those pictures of Andrew are too funny. Looks like you got a little mooner on your hands! :)

Anonymous said...

SO FUN!!!!!!

Matt said...

Oh WOW...looks like a LOT of fun! I'm jealous of the sunshine and Disneyland, of course! That place really IS magical!!! I'm glad you guys had a great time!

Robyn said...

I already knew how cute the kids are, but I forgot how darling you and Dave are! Fun pictures of all of you. And it looks amazing--glad you got to Legoland. My kids love that place.

CANADIAN AMERICAN FAMILY said...

Oh man I'm so jealous..I want a vacation..although they are a lot of work too! And I'm sick to my stomach that you don't even look pregnant and I have an enormous stomach!

Maughan"sters" said...

What a fun, fast trip :)
We've been debating Sea World but Brandon thinks OUR kids are too young. I"m going to tell him that your kids had fun!!

Angela said...

Ah, the beach and Disneyland, my too favorite places. I'm glad it was a blast!

Christy said...

Oh man that looks like so much fun!! Jealous! I seriously look forward to the day I get to take Josh to Disneyland - sooooo fun!