October 15, 2009

Halloween Sneak Peek

Like you, I usually think I'm a really good mom. I love my kids. I play with them and take them to do tons of fun things. I'm kind and silly and I try to be patient. We laugh and run and play. Life is good here.
~
But, nothing brings out the bad mom in me like trying to take posed pictures of my kids. Seriously, it drives me crazy and I become mean mommy. And for whatever reason, I try it again and it always ends up the same; kids crying and me mad, with a hundred not so great pictures.

For Halloween Andrew Man is going to be a Pirate and Sweet Ashley is Tinkerbell. The Tinkerbell costume was made by Dave's Grandma Karma several years ago for a different granddaughter. It needed some major sprucing so I made my own great big tulle tutu and found darling green wings. It's darling but, maybe a little too much because Ashley hates it.
~
We're having some Halloween Pictures taken tomorrow with Wallin Photography and I decided to put the kids in their costumes today to make sure we're all set. Then since they were dressed I thought it would be fun to go outside for a few pictures. I was wrong, it wasn't fun.



Poor tear stained cheeks

Then Andrew and Ashley both started walking away together and Andrew turned back and told me "Don't worry mom, we're going to a meeting at our office, it won't be a long one."

Ashley was done. Wings on crooked, missing a shoe, heading to the front door, done.

Probably as punishment for the bad photo shoot, Ashley got into the pantry today and dumped out a canister full of powdered sugar. It was my fault really, I gave her and Andrew each a couple M&M's at the end of lunch and she saw right where they came from. We were upstairs reading books before naps and she left (which is normal, she doesn't sit still long) and went downstairs alone. I came a few minutes later and she was sitting up on top of the table playing (again, very normal for her) and had knocked a cup of water all over the floor. I brought her up with me again, then she left alone again. I came down a few more minutes later and found her trying to climb the shelves towards those delicious M&M's.

3 comments:

Matt said...

CLASSIC picture of the mess....I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that runs for the camera when stuff like that happens! :) Your kids are darling, seriously! And don't worry about the mean mommy at photo shoots - we ALL do it! It's really quite stressful for us mommies, huh?

Sarah said...

At least they look darling in the costumes, even if they didn't want to smile for the pictures.

Annie Van Komen Albrecht said...

The Halloween costumes are so cute. I want a girl to dress up now. Cole will only hold still for a picture when he is filthy or half dressed. The powdered sugar makes me feel like I am not alone. I can't leave Cole alone for 30 seconds. Last week he climbed on top of the washing machine (via opening the dryer and using the opening as a step) and was dumping scoopfuls of powdered detergent all over the floor. SO fun to clean up. He is a trouble maker.