This year Spring Break was 6 full school days plus the 2 weekends on either side. We didn't plan a trip because we'd just recently had our Disneyland trip and Beaver Mountain ski weekend, and it's a good thing we didn't because Andrew got really sick with some sort of awful stomach bug the first Saturday of the break, and then I got it too. He was really sick off and on until Thursday and I felt horrible from Sunday until Tuesday. I always love long breaks (or any breaks) from the kids' school and activities but, being sick made for a mostly rough week. I was glad to be sick when we weren't busy or missing school and I was really grateful that the girls were all spared from the sickness.
~
Friday was the first day of the break. no sickness yet. Hailey had dance, Kate colored all over the wall, and Andrew had a play date over. After all of that we headed to Hollywood Connection for mini-golf and rides. That night Ashley was able to go watch cousin Lizzie's dance performance and loved it!
My big kids love this place and I feel like a stellar mom for enduring it with a smile once or twice a year.
The rides scare Hailey, except for the Carousel. So, she, Katie and I went on the carousel over and over again.
Ashley on the bumper cars
Andrew too
Day 2: Saturday. Ashley's soccer game was cancelled because of too many out of towners. Andrew still had a game and was lucky enough to have Dave sub as the coach and only 4 kids on his team so he got to play from start to finish. He played great and had 9 goals! His team won 10 to 2. It started to get a little uncomfortable....how are you supposed to act when your kid scores another goal against a struggling team? We cheered much more quietly and then gushed more once the game was through. After soccer Dave and I took Andrew and Ashley to ski at Brighton for a half day. After that, Andrew went to a play date at Ty Ty's. He came home happy. That night his stomach bug hit and a rough few days began.
Day 3: Sunday. I was so excited to get to be the sub for Andrew's primary class! Wouldn't you know it's the one day he is sick and misses church. That night Andrew and I stayed home while Dave and the girls went to Sunday Dinner at the Price's. He and I sat on his makeshift bed of blankets on the bathroom floor and I had the best time playing board games with just him.
Day 4: Monday. We spent the day lounging at home. By now I was really sick too. A flooring guy spent the day working in our basement and the only fun things we did was watch movies and dye Easter Eggs.
Day 5: Tuesday. I felt mostly all better and Andrew was much improved too. The flooring guy was here all morning. Kate fell asleep mid lunch. Ashley had dance in the early afternoon. After that, we went with the Farnsworth cousins to Classic Fun Center for bike and scooter riding, bounce houses and a big maze. The kids had a blast and it was great to be out.
Day 6: Wednesday. I had a babysitter lined up for a ski day but, Andrew felt pretty sick again and it was snowy and cold. He spent most the morning asleep on my bathroom floor. Poor guy! I love this picture because just like every other day: Hailey is naked while everyone else is dressed!
We spent the day home and then once Dave came home Andrew had perked up again and I was ready to pull my hair out. We took the kids bowling and then got pizza. I got something like 120 or 130 (I can't remember) but, it was awesome for me and I was ready to buy shoes and join a league.
~
Looking pretty handsome nonetheless. He actually bowled really well and it was the perfect thing to get him out on such a cold day.
Sweet Ashley was frustrated that she couldn't hit more pins. The hard thing is that she is such a lightweight that even the lightest bowling ball is at least 25% of her body weight. I told her my story of bowling with my family as a kid and getting all gutter balls and feeling sad but, I got bigger and it all worked out. She has such a happy attitude and sweetness that she didn't need any more than that.
Kate, Kate, Kate. She kept pulling her pants down, over and over. No matter how many times we pulled them up, she tugged them right back down. That isn't something she ever does so I have no idea why she did that day but, it was hilarious!
Day 7: Thursday. Andrew was much better now. We went to the new Aquarium first thing in the morning. It was way too crowded and not all put together yet but, it was fun and we bought an annual pass and will go back more in the summer. We even had to wait in line to cross the rope bridge, ugh. Then, straight to Ashley's gymnstics class, then straight to see the Muppets Movie with our Farnsworth cousins. That night I was lucky to go to a Relief Society meeting with Matt Townsend as the speaker. He was incredible and I was laughing and crying all night.
Brave Ashley always trying to tough any creature
Day 8: Friday. Hailey had dance. Andrew was finally feeling completely better so we left Haze and Kate with a babysitter while Andrew, Ashley and I headed to Solitude for our last day of skiing for the season. We had a great time and felt like we had the place to ourselves. Here they are playing on the mound of snow in the parking lot while I loaded skis up. That evening they went to soccer practice and then to see cousin Callie in an informal Harp recital at their home.
Day 9: Saturday was such a cold day and we first went to Andrew's soccer game and then to Ashley's. Andrew again had a tiny team and got to play almost every minute. His team won 7 to 0 with 4 goals for Andrew. Ashley's team won 3 to 1 and she had 2 goals. That was amazing. She has had so much fun playing soccer and has improved so much. When she kicked the first goal she looked over to her cheering section with a look on her face like "Did you see that?, Did that just happen? Wow!", then a few minutes later she did it again. We were as excited and as loud as could be and she beamed.
~
After soccer we headed straight to Hogle Zoo to celebrate my Grandpa's 90th Birthday. The wind stopped and the sun came out just long enough for us to visit, see a few animals, and eat some cake. Then, it down poured. A couple of my cousins didn't make it to the picture, and several others couldn't make it at all but, it was really fun to see so many.
That night Andrew and Ashley had a sleep over at Nana and Papa's house with the other older cousins. They had a great time and we got to listen to a little more of morning conference than we would have otherwise.
Day 10: Sunday. We love General Conference, even if it's hard to hear with little ones around. I do love having DVR so I can watch a talk or two at a time later on.
The next day the kids headed back to school and all that comes with it. I was happy to be through the sicknesses but, always so sad to see them go.






























No comments:
Post a Comment